July is here! That means HOT. Here’s some tips to get by in your fitness goals and beat the heat:
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! This is important at ANY time of the year, but it becomes especially important in hotter weather. If you’re outdoors and it’s hot (especially if it’s upper 90s/triple digits), take sips of water every couple of minutes. The amount of ounces you should be drinking is half of your body weight in ounces. I would be drinking at LEAST that and a few extra in warmer weather.
- If you do outdoor workouts such as running, consider doing it in the morning when it’s cooler. My favorite time of day to run is in the summer mornings, and it’s s much better than caffeine to wake up by!
- Wear lightweight, moisture wicking clothing when you exercise.
- Don’t forget your sunblock! If there’s a chance you might be outdoors for at least 15 minutes, you NEED to wear it. Your skin will thank you.
- Consider working out indoors in a cool area of your home or in an air conditioned gym. I turned half of my basement into my personal gym and I have a fan to blow on me.
- If you get dizzy or don’t feel well, STOP! This could be a sign of heat exhaustion and/or dehydration.
- Some foods are naturally hydrating because they contain water. Watermelon, cucumbers, and various citrus fruits are great examples!
- Avoid eating heavy meals, especially before working out.