* Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), 1 can
* Broccoli, cooked
* Zucchini, 1 cup, sliced
* Daiya Vegan Cheese (cheddar good)
* Bread crumbs, dry, grated, seasoned, 1 cup (I use wheat-free Italian style from Whole foods)
* Vegetable Broth, 1 cup
* Onions, raw, 2 cup, sliced
* Almonds, slivers – ~1 cup
-Preheat oven to 350F
-In a large bowl mash the chickpeas well. I use a potato masher, it helps immensely!
– Dice the vegetables. You can cook them in advance and it may make dicing easier. I usually get these HUGE heads of broccoli as big as my own head from Boston Organics, and this is a great recipe for them!
-Add the vegetables and mix well.
-Add the bread crumbs and mix
-Finally, add the vegetable broth and salt, and mix one last time.
-Transfer all ingredients to a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
-Press the mixture firmly into the casserole.
-Cover with foil, bake for 45mins.
-Uncover and bake for 15 more mins.
Serve it hot the day of, but it tastes good cold as well.
The sole thing unhealthy about this recipe would be the Daiya. 🙂 If you don’t overload what you’re making with the cheese you shouldn’t have to worry about the fat as much. I never use more than about 3/4 to a full sized package of Daiya cheddar for the entire casserole, and you shouldn’t need to. Well…unless you want to!
Number of Servings: 12